Easy Peasy Iron-On Patches
I’ve just taken part in a pretty nifty little project with Uniqlo which has taken me right back to when I was 11 – fashion designer in the making, artistically positioning diamante-spangled denim patches on a skirt which I had just reconstructed out of old jeans. In my element I was then, and in my adult element was I when I recreated this nostalgic pastime. Albeit with larger, designer patches by the marvellous Andrea Crews!
I’ve created a super easy step-by-step guide to create some customised leggings. Uniqlo have showcased my little craft sesh alongside some other creatively brilliant Bloggers in the patch project on their Pinterest page. Do take a look at what have come up with. I’m really impressed with the DIY by Kingdom of Style (so much so that I’m slightly embarrassed mine wasn’t more clever!) and doesn’t Barginsta Fashionista’s really work too?
Right then, just grab yourself a pair of leggings and lets get going!
1. Gather together your chosen patches and pins – long ones with small heads work best. I’ve chosen to customise houndstooth leggings, but a khaki jacket, sweatshirt or shorts would also work well. Make sure you have your iron ready and thin tea towel to hand.
2. Put your chosen item on and, standing in front of a mirror, decide on the positioning of the patches. I put mine at the front where pockets would be but I also loved the idea of having them in a line down the side of your thigh like army patches!
3. Take off your item and switch on the iron. Whilst it’s heating, lie the item flat on the ironing board and reposition the patches. Pin the patch where you want it attached. Turn your item inside out and lie it flat. Take iron in hand, pose for photo as if you’re a 50′s domestic godess. smile, good.
4. Place your thin cloth over the back of the area. Press the whole patch with the iron for 20 seconds then using the tip of the iron, make little circles in areas around the pins to ensure the glue on the back of the patch is fully melted.
5. Once cooled, turn your item back the right way and ensure the patches are completely fused to the fabric. Put your newly customised item on and wear with pride!
Badoom-ching! To help you on your way, I’m giving away 3 patches (two heart houses and a bauble) and a set of stickers! (just seen in first photo) Just let me know if you’d like them in your comment. I’ll pick out a British based winner in my next post. HAPPY PATCHING!!